Hints and Tips

More
07 Mar 2004 21:11 #8129 by YoKu
Hints and Tips was created by YoKu
[glb]Note:[/glb]
I suggest that you don't post on this thread, unless you have some information that you would like to share with newbies.

I am trying to put together a thread with lots of useful information.

If you got anything useful to share, just post

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
More
11 Mar 2004 07:12 #8131 by mytyl
Replied by mytyl on topic Hints and Tips
er, if you want to make these easier to find, you could just put links to their respective threads...

for the newbies, remember that the helpfiles are there for a reason, and they really do help. also, don't worry about making money right away. food and water can be gotten for free, and they're all you really need to survive. and if you get lost in the wilderness, don't panic or feel like you have to start over... it's just as easy to survive in the wilderness (maybe easier with no one around to kill you) and you may eventually find your way back. oh, and you can always ask for a mentor (help mentor).

More
05 Jun 2004 05:32 #8132 by YoKu
Replied by YoKu on topic Hints and Tips
[glb]Rating[/glb]

TERMS
Whenever it comes to rating...

Bad doesn't not have any relationship with evil, nor does good relates to a good hearted person.

The correct way
Before rating someone bad IC and OOC, let them know you are doing so and give them a reason for such an action (Find the time to meditate with them ICly if so you would be able to give them your reason and give them tips. If they don't know about meditation, type "helpsay person helpfile"). You don't have to do it, if you are in the middle of some good roleplay, but let them know afterwards whenever you find the time. This could give the players time to discuss the rating amongst themselves without being angry at their current ratings. It also gives the players a sense of DOs and DONTs, to avoid bad ratings in the future

Rate someone good IC or OOC based on their actions on either world. Don't just go around rating them good, because they are your best friend in high school and feel that its appropiate to do so or whatever they may be to you. Take a minute and think to your self: "Did this person work hard for this good rating I'm about to give them?" If your answer is yes, go ahead and rate them. If your not so sure or no is your answer, just wait until you are sure about it, before rating them.

read also "help rate"

If you have bad IC, OOC or both, don't feel bad, because there are some people out there with ratings like yours or even worse. Just remember, you have another day in the world of AL, and within that day, you can make a huge change in your ratings.

The incorrect way
If someone insults you OOCly or just because someone kills you ICly and you've worked hard on your character for the past week or so gives you no right to rate them bad. If you know they have cheated to obtain success in doing such an action, feel free to go ahead and rate them bad IC, and if you feel necessary, report to the creators or admins (Don't forget to log).

Just because you like or dislike a person, you are not suppose to give them a good or bad rating. Doing such actions is considered abuse of the rating system. Ratings are suppose to be given upon the actions of the player you are rating.

If you see anything missing that you would like to point out, I would like to get as much useful information on this thread as I can.

More
06 Jun 2004 04:03 #8133 by Drake
Replied by Drake on topic Hints and Tips

Before rating someone bad IC and OOC, let them know you are doing so and give them a reason for such an action. You don't have to do it, if you are in the middle of some good roleplay, but let them know afterwards whenever you find the time. This could give the players time to discuss the rating amongst themselves without being angry at their current ratings. It also gives the players a sense of DOs and DONTs, to avoid bad ratings in the future

{I don't speak on behalf of the staff here. This is my own personal opinion.}

:blinks: DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT inform someone that you are rating them nor the reason for either. The rating system is an OOC mechanism and as such should not be discussed within the IC world. If you do so, expect to be rated bad IC yourself.

More
06 Jun 2004 04:09 #8134 by YoKu

{I don't speak on behalf of the staff here. This is my own personal opinion.}

:blinks: DO NOT, I repeat DO NOT inform someone that you are rating them nor the reason for either. The rating system is an OOC mechanism and as such should not be discussed within the IC world. If you do so, expect to be rated bad IC yourself.

I was talking about finding the time to sit down and meditate with them. So you can show them the basics and their mistakes.

Futhermore, you are trying to make me avoid the purpose of this thread in order to start a flame war. Wich is something this thread isn't designed for, it is for posting helpful and useful information. As of lately, I have been trying to clean/clear it up.

More
06 Jun 2004 04:25 #8135 by Drake
Replied by Drake on topic Hints and Tips

I was talking about finding the time to sit down and meditate with them. So you can show them the basics and their mistakes.

Please do remember, this section of the boards is devoted to newbies and that they probably do not know about using meditate for that purpose. Do mention it next time and I'm sure you can avoid responses like those in my previous post.

As you said, this isn't the flame section of the board so I'll not comment further on the rest of your post.

[edit: Oh, and also 'help rate' is probably a good thing for those looking for official help in this matter to read.]

More
07 Jun 2004 00:44 #8136 by YoKu
[glb]Assistance[/glb]

Help Files
There are files that assist players in many ways called 'help files'. They are there for a reason and decoration isn't one of them. Reading help files can one save the time of others and save you the humiliaton.

Mentors (see also: "help mentor" and "help massist")
If you find yourself in a bind, lost, or just feel helpless, feel free to call upon a mentor. If you are unsure about how to call for a mentors assistance, use the "massist" command. This command will warp you to a mentor academy, there you might have to wait for a mentor to come assist you.

Little word of advice, until this person is through speaking to you, don't leave and make sure you pay attention. These people have important things to say, and they might be able to help you out in the long-run.

If you are having problems with a certain command, see if your friend(s) would be willing to meditate with you. type 'ooc <message>' (Example: ooc whats up?) to commune when meditating.

Players
If find yourself lost, unable to locate the arch, and find out that you are too old for the massist command, you might want to get a player to assist you. Some of the players in the game are as helpful as mentors.

Some of the players in the game are not nice enough to help poor souls such as newbies. They might take the fact that you are a newbie to an advantage and kill you. Don't let this discourage you from making friends In Character (see also: help IC). Some friends might be able to point you into the direction of some towns you haven't explored and wish to visit.

(I am not finished)

Time to create page: 0.180 seconds