Recalling

More
20 Jan 2007 08:31 #7738 by Celtor
Recalling was created by Celtor
Hi there, newbie question and somewhat of a venting:

Is there actually something to recall about every skill? It seems that certain skills I've been able to recall the same amount about from day 1, but for others, I have never gotten anything from recalling them, even though they are some of my higher ranked abilities.

What it seems like to me is that certain things just don't have anything coded into them for a recall. Otherwise, it just doesn't make sense.

Considering the stranglehold there is on even the slightest information about -how- to reasonably progress in one's skills (like, what the heck do you -do- with hemp when you find it???), it seems that having at least some information to help prod a new player along in the right intuitive direction would be a priority.

Even with a large group of other people who are all starting at the same time and working together, we've had some seriously ridiculous trouble with accomplishing even basic things that any 22 year old person should know how to do. It's frustrating and we're not even supposed to share information among ourselves OOCly.

I'm really enjoying the intricacy of the crafting system, but I do think there should be some additional assistance, such as crafting quests or trainers or something that one can utilize at those times when no one else who knows is around.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
20 Jan 2007 11:40 #7739 by Jayess
Replied by Jayess on topic Re: Recalling
Our recall system has a lot of potential, but in its current state, it's far from perfect.

It is a good way for us to provide IC info to players, based on their character's skill set.  For example, players whose characters posess a good bit of banzar lore can 'recall banzar' and learn some trivia about the town, while players who have never explored that part of the world and built up any banzar lore skill won't be privvy to the same info.

In that way, we can provide the common knowledge tidbits that (newer) players need, while still hiding the info from player characters who wouldn't have a legitimate way of learning it -- all while maintaining the IC feel of the process.  In my judgement, this is the best compromise between keeping craft info totally IC, and giving up and just providing OOC lists of craftables.

But, the recall system isn't finished.  A lot of basic skills don't have very much, if any, recall info associated with them.  This is something we're working to fix.  When the recall system is working as we'd like, it will dole out tidbits of information that are associated with a set of keywords, taking into account a character's level of ability in a relevant skill.  So, new whittlers would learn that you can turn a stick into a torch, but accomplished wittlers would also be able to recall details about the complex scupltures that a master whittler can produce.

Right now, in order to turn yourself into a good crafter, you'll have to find other players in the game and start roleplaying with them.  In fact, there is a player-initiated guild of sorts whose purpose is to create competent crafters, you just have to find it.

More
20 Jan 2007 20:11 #7740 by Celtor
Replied by Celtor on topic Re: Recalling
Yeah, I think the idea of the recall system is a good one and those areas that are filled in are HUGELY helpful to me as I've tried to figure out just the basics of what my character should know.

It's just frustrating when you know a lot more about spinning than metal working, but there's ZERO info available when you recall spinning and at least some starting tidbits for metal working. And that's just one example.

Is there a way IG to request that a specific recall node gets filled in?

Also, as with other games that are huge but with limited numbers of active players, it's kind of hugely inconvenient to rely only upon other PCs to advance in any fashion at all ;) Nothing like having 10 people on when I'm playing and not seeing another PC at all for hours in the town.

More
20 Jan 2007 22:10 #7741 by Jovan
Replied by Jovan on topic Re: Recalling
Just 'note ideas' on any recall that doesn't have any information in it yet, and give us your thoughts on what should be included in them.

More
21 Jan 2007 14:31 #7742 by kaain
Replied by kaain on topic Re: Recalling
Perhaps this should also be on the frustration board, or perhaps I have simply not been her long enough but it is frustrating that it seems "LOTS" of information is only available IC (from other characters) and that it is either horded or suggested that IC they would never tell you. Even worse is the sutff that people kill you for asking about, yet you have to ask someone or never find out.

More
22 Jan 2007 17:26 #7743 by Celtor
Replied by Celtor on topic Re: Recalling

Just 'note ideas' on any recall that doesn't have any information in it yet, and give us your thoughts on what should be included in them.

Well, I've got the list of what I can't recall, but frankly, since I barely know what's possible in each of the skills, it would be a serious stretch to actually suggest what should be included. That is something those who've been around and know would be better at, in my opinion. The old "you don't know what you don't know" issue ;)

More
22 Jan 2007 19:05 #7744 by Mishy
Replied by Mishy on topic Re: Recalling
To be honest, as a new player, it actually seems absurd to have to ask ICly what the syntax is to do something your character already knows. It's hard to roleplay a carpenter if you have to ask people how to make a chair leg. I've asked about everyone that I've run into, trying to sneak it into a conversation how to do certain things, but I'm usually left with people telling me they just don't know. It's worked occasionally, but it's also annoying to ask everyone you see how to do this or that and what you need for this or that. It's even quite impossible to do things with the recall command, let alone if you can't recall anything at all.

More
23 Jan 2007 22:25 #7745 by Mark
Replied by Mark on topic Re: Recalling
It should be something like 'make chair leg', but if that's not working for you, you can find a chair leg and type 'analyze chair leg' and it will give you more details.

Syntax questions are definitely allowed, but ingredients and so on are not.

If you have a skill, you should probably have some recall of some of that, if not, it's just not implemented yet.

Time to create page: 0.193 seconds