Want to submit an item?

More
07 Mar 2007 04:41 #7708 by Jayess
Accursed Lands' creators often accept item submissions from players; we'll snag the submission, slap it into shape, and sling it into the game.

We discourage players from submitting weapons, which would probably bring up a bunch of balance issues.  Nothing gets peoples' creative juices flowing like the thought of creating a great new weapon, but the problems outweigh the benefits.  Also, there are some types of items that are not in the game, and for good reason.  If you think we're going to make you a portable hole or a flying carpet, think again.

How do players submit items?  Write up a description and either use the LimaWeb submission form (found right here on ALs website), or plaster it on the Ideas board in the game.  Or, just give it to a willing creator.

Here's the sort of thing we'd be able to work with:

Short description:  Basket quiver
Long description:  This long, narrow tube is tighly woven from light brown reeds.  A helical strip of leather winds its way around the open mouth of the tube, strengthening the already-stiff container, while the rounded base is reinforced with a carefully-intertwined extra layer of reeds.  The ends of a braided leather thong wrap securely around the top and bottom of the container while the middle hangs loose, presumably to be used as a carrying strap.
Look: thong, leather thong, braided thong, braided leather thong, strap, carrying strap#This sturdy length of braided leather seems to serve as a carrying strap.  The brown leather is stiff to the touch.
Look: base, rounded base, round base#The hemispherical base is carefully woven from slender reeds, and strengthened by an additional layer of weaving.
Look: strip, helical strip, leather strip#The open mouth of the reed basket is wrapped in supple leather, lending a finished quality to the otherwise-rough surface.

Touch: The reeds are smooth and hard to the touch.
Smell: The basket gives off no discernable odor.
Taste: It is not edible.

If you want to provide some craft messages (those room emotes that pop up when you craft items), feel free.  Here are some examples:

You begin to weave some pliable reeds into a narrow, cylindrical basket.
You wrap the mouth of a cylindrical basket with a soft strip of leather.
You form a strong, braided strap from some lengths of leather.
...and so on.

If you think this is something you want to do, check out 'help descriptions' for some tips on writing mud-appropriate descriptions.  Look at 'help limaweb_objects' for an explanation of the fields available for you to fill out in the limaweb submission form.  Also check out 'help ownership'.  There are no guarantees that your submission will be accepted by creators, and we'll almost certainly edit it.  If you want a full-fledged QC of your submission, we can provide that for you too.  We'll be happy to credit your name in the actual file, but for reasons relating to the OOC/IC separation, the file won't be visible from within the game but at least creators will know who designed the item.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Mar 2007 19:12 #7709 by Celtor
Replied by Celtor on topic Re: Want to submit an item?
Thanks Jayess, this is uber helpful, especially in combination with LadyImp's post about item submissions.

*directs Tender this way*

More
07 Mar 2007 20:56 #7710 by Tender
Replied by Tender on topic Re: Want to submit an item?
This post is very helpful, but I still have a couple questions. On the submission form it says to list the ingredients with a # between each one. Now if you require several of one ingredient can it be listed grouped (ex: 3a#b#2c)? or do they have to be listed seperate (ex: a#a#a#b#c#c)? Also, for the shortest time#longest time.. is there a general guidline that is used to determine this? Somethings I can see using the 'same time as x <item>' for some stuff. But other things I'm not sure what to compare it to.

More
07 Mar 2007 21:00 #7711 by Celtor
Replied by Celtor on topic Re: Want to submit an item?
Yeah, we've been brainstorming on some ideas for new craftables and what we're encountering is that our own lack of knowledge about what's already implemented, what's coded but not released, and what's been rejected is really hampering our ability to continue.

Tender's got a gazillion great ideas and I'd love to see them implemented :D

By the way, we're totally not interested in the weapons side of things right now...we're drooling all over furniture and such!

More
07 Mar 2007 22:42 #7712 by Jovan
Replied by Jovan on topic Re: Want to submit an item?
Tender: If you want to specify how many of an item you'll need, it is indeed:
ingredients    2 nail#2 board

As for the craft time, you can always generalize since we don't publish the exact craft times to the playerbase.  You could say '2-4 IC hours' or 'same time as a woven carpet'.

Same for the difficulty, you could say 'below average skill level' or 'harder than an ornately painted pot'.  Hope this helps.

(Oh yeah, some additional stuff I wanted to say a while back but forgot)
If you don't think your item needs all those fields, you'll have to enter something in the blanks anyway. Just put in N/A or a character to make the form stop yelling at you for not filling in everything.

Not all items have to be craftable either. You can also use the form for herbs, props, jewelry, and other items to add to AL's ambience! If your item is not a plain old craftable, just tell us what item type it should be, and what else you'd like the item to do. (For instance, if it's edible, you can add a message for its eat action, or its leftovers. For almost any item, you can specify lots more things than what's currently listed, such as what items it leaves when you break it!)

More
07 Mar 2007 23:05 #7713 by Tender
Okay, thanks so much. ;D

More
09 Mar 2007 22:55 #7714 by Tender
Heh I have yet another question for you all. I have an item that I am trying to write up for submission, but I am unsure of the quantity of a specific item I would need to use for it. Can I just list the item and say that im not sure how much of it would be needed? or should I see if a creator would be willing to discuss the item with me to see if they could help me figure it out? My limited experience in the game so far is kind of hampering me when it comes to this stuff. Sorry for all the questions, I just like do things right the first time when I can.

More
10 Mar 2007 03:51 #7715 by Jovan
Replied by Jovan on topic Re: Want to submit an item?
Add a little note about the data fields you're unsure about, and we can figure out the balance issues when testing the item.

More
13 Mar 2007 19:52 #7716 by Jayess
Replied by Jayess on topic Re: Want to submit an item?
Here's a recent submission, hot off the LimbWeb form:

Title: frame#rack a parchment frame megamouse

From Limaweb:

id a parchment frame
adj frame#rack
long It is a simple stride wide by a stride long wooden square. About every hand width apart along the frame is a length of cord for holding something fast. Each round arm of the square is about two fingers thick. Each arm is nailed firmly to the next.
weight 200

smell It smells faintly of wood and animal skin.&&&!!!
taste It is not edible.
touch It feels like smooth wood, and the cords are rough leather.

craft_command craft
craft_skills carpentry#8
craft_time unknown.
ingredients 4 wooden poles#8 leather cords#4 iron nails
tools saw#knife#hammer

craft_message You begin crafting a parchment rack.
You lay out the four poles in a square.
Carefully you saw a piece off of each pole end on an angle.
Gently you hammer an iron nail through the end of one pole into the other securing the angled parts together.
You wrap the length of cord around a section of the poles and space it out equally on the others.
You tighten the cords and double check the strength of the frame.
You successfully craft a parchment frame.

Used for crafting parchment sheets.

Posted: Tue Mar 13 03:42:08 2007 by Megamouse.

And here's the completed .itm file.  Please note that I was particularly lax in consulting MegaMouse's submitted form, so a lot of the fields don't exactly match up.

#File:     skin_stretcher.itm
#Creator:  Jayess in March 2007 after a submission by MegaMouse
#DIR tools
#Note:     This item exists as a tool used in the production of parchment.
#Concept by MegaMouse via the limaweb submission form.

obj /std/object

id             stretcher
adj            skin#hide

long This is a wooden frame consisting of four round wooden stretchers
~    arranged in the shape of a broad rectangle.  Attached along the
~    stretchers are a series of short cords that appear designed to hold
~    something within the confines of the frame.
+    {skill|tanning|0|100||  You recognize this as a tool used to hold
~    parchment sheets while they are being dried.}

look stretcher|stretchers#These irregular round dowels appear to have
~    been crafted from sturdy branches.  Attached to them at regular
~    intervals are a series of short leather cords.
look cord|cords|short cord|short cords|leather cord|leather cords|
+    short leather cord|short leather cords#These short cords, numbering
~    perhaps a dozen in total, are arranged around the frame and firmly
~    attached to the stretchers.

weight 1000

smell It gives off a sharp, acrid odor, redolent of wood and tanned hides.
taste It is not edible.
touch The frame is mostly smooth to the touch and quite stiff.

craft_command craft#make
craft_skills  carpentry#70
craft_time    .6#.9
ingredients   4 branch#leather cord#4 wooden peg
tools         knife

craft_message  !0:15:$N $vstart to cut the twigs from some branches.
craft_message  !16:30:$N $vbegin to smooth the ends of some branches.
craft_message  !31:45:$N $vream some holes in the ends of some branches.
craft_message  !46:60:$N $vpiece together a frame from four branches.
craft_message  !61:75:$N $vattach a rough frame's stretchers with some pegs.
craft_message  !76:90:$N $vform a series of short leather cords.
craft_message  !91:100:$N $vput the finishing touches on a skin stretcher.

Time to create page: 0.069 seconds