A [cautionary but exultant] newbie tale....

More
14 Aug 2007 02:59 #7691 by Chestlin
Hi,

I recently started playing AL because of all the praise I saw in mudlist sites. I was skeptical, but I temporarily have a lot of free time on my hands so I thought I'd give it a go. On my second login, I was savagely attacked by a bandit who severed my legs and wanted to make me his slave. I was then rescued by a friendly Goblin and a comely rogue. We all spoke briefly with a very loud angry guard who locked up my attacker only after threatening my rescuers and I. The friends then dragged me to a library, tended my wounds, spoke kindly and helped as best they could.

All this to say that I am incredibly impressed by the level of roleplay in AL, which far exceeds my expectations. I am also amazed by the depth and complexity of the coding, although it is still all over my head. As it stands I plan to carry on and try to play my crippled character as best I can. Again I am impressed and thankful for the gaming experience provided by all those involved (including the evil bandit who did an excellent job of being evil). If I manage to figure out the RP Award system, if such a thing exists I plan to pass on a few points.

On the cautionary side, my advice to others would be....
(a) Don't wander the wilderness alone, start in a safer environment like a city until you have some idea what your doing;
(b) Shouting for help works. If I hadn't I would be dead or labouring away in that bandits lair;
(c) Check the help on GIFTS. It's hard to receive aid unless you change those settings.

Good luck other newbies!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
14 Aug 2007 03:25 #7692 by Blakat
Welcome!

We are so glad to have you and I am glad to hear your first experience was so grand :D

Please don't hesitate to ask questions on the NEWBIE channel, we will all do our best to help in whatever way we can

You can also type MASSIST if you would like mentor help

Stick around!!!

More
14 Aug 2007 08:31 #7693 by ladyimp
Oh wow! You found us :) Most excellent.

The depth of the game, mechanics and other, is going to drown you for some time. That is to be savored as well, and is not at all a problem, despite the frustrating bits. It is for people, very much like yourself, that this game exists. Welcome in, and welcome too, to as deep into the game as you can go ;)

More
14 Aug 2007 12:26 #7694 by Mark
If you can keep track of the frustrating parts to starting (before you forget what they were) and write them down that'd be a great help, as we could focus on improving the experience for others. :)

More
14 Aug 2007 21:23 #7695 by Aesuna
Welcome to AL, Chestlin! I hope we can play together some time. :D

More
14 Aug 2007 23:32 #7696 by Musica
Hey, man, welcome to AL.

Hope to see ya ingame sometime soon. ^_^

Time to create page: 0.198 seconds