Sick and Tired

More
15 Dec 2004 01:27 #6709 by slayer
Replied by slayer on topic Re: Sick and Tired
More interactivity is good for the rest of us as well, but those who don't rp now might be motivated to rp if they saw things they could do that fired them up a bit or helped them slip into the rp mind set. Maybe helping them to slip past the point of feeling like they're playing a game to the point where they feel like they're a part of the game.

Just getting rid of the players who don't rp is a bit drastic.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Dec 2004 06:17 #6710 by Drake
Replied by Drake on topic Re: Sick and Tired
I wouldn't be so sure. This was meant to be an RP MUD, if you don't want to RP there are plenty of hack-n-slashers out there.

As it is, we are RP encouraged. Though I'm not sure it's helping.

More
15 Dec 2004 20:54 #6711 by ignatius
Replied by ignatius on topic Re: Sick and Tired
maybe we could try remembering to rate people positively when we see them doing a good job, and encourage people to care about their ratings instead of ratings only seeming to come up when someone wants to rate someone ooc bad for petty non game related issues

More
19 Dec 2004 08:08 #6712 by khaos
Replied by khaos on topic Re: Sick and Tired
[glb]
Events, or, for lack of a better word, quests.

Only the most dedicated of the most dedicated can enjoy rping solo indefinitely. But say a quest were to be added that could add to keeping the rp fresh.

Events have already been touched upon (I think). So...:

When I say quest I don't mean some tired old thing hardwired into the game. Instead, something that a creator has in mind at the time.

ie: Look, here's a pc, why don't I have him do this for me.

Purely on a whim. The goddess could come down and send her loyal subject to do something. It might never happen again. But hell even just having the goddess appear and speak to you. That would result in some crazygood rp for quite some time. Give the character something to brag about, something to ponder. MAke the character ic, not the person, want to continue their good service.

The reward in a quest might be the pure satisfaction of rping that task. Or perhaps: Oooh, I have to go get some flour for my grandmother. A little while later, there you are sitting at the table enjoying some cookies that she made from the flour she sent you to get.
(Simplified example, awright.)

Oh, (this might be an extreme example but) and if we were to remove all the people who didn't like liver, would that make the world a better place? No.

Remove murders, etc., yes, liver-haters, etc. no.
Some players might need to be removed if they never rp and arrive with the sole purpose of becoming some kind of demi-god, on the other hand a being able to kick an enemy's butt doesn't hurt either. Not you at least. It even adds to the enjoyment factor of the game.
[/glb]

More
19 Dec 2004 08:14 #6713 by Luc
Replied by Luc on topic Re: Sick and Tired
CREATORS ARE NOT DIVINE.

That is all.

More
19 Dec 2004 08:26 #6714 by khaos
[glb]Well immortals then, or whoever that suggestion would apply to.

Please forgive my ignorance and enlighten me.[/glb]

More
19 Dec 2004 08:33 #6715 by Luc
Your suggestion would be invalid for several reasons, none of which I can reveal to players. Suffice it to say that creators are forbidden from interfering in the IC world, and particularly from interfering in such a blatant and inelegant fashion.

More
19 Dec 2004 08:40 #6716 by khaos
[glb]Right then, invalid, fine.

What would be inelegant of blatant about it exactly?

It would, in my own opinion humble though it may be, be something enjoyable to enter a shop and have the shopkeep say. "Greetings Khaos. blah blah blah ... I was wondering if you would take these packages to the next town for me?" Or at the least shops could have a sign listing jobs that players could should they so desire, whether they want to live their lives as a courier or not.

And personaly I think it would rock to see the goddess. How many devout mysrrae wouldn't be completely, tottaly thrilled and overcome with joy to be in the presence of their goddess?[/glb]

More
19 Dec 2004 08:54 #6717 by Luc
I can't get into details - and I'd appreciate it if you stayed away from IC religion altogether - but there is no such goddess, at least not in the sense that you seem to mean. Trust me on this one.

It's true that simple quests from established NPCs wouldn't be particularly obnoxious. We've done that kind of thing in the past, and I'd like to do it in the future, but at the moment I'd prefer our limited manpower were dedicated to getting actual work done. But that's not what I was responding to; the only example you gave involved a divine manifestation, which is horribly obvious and inelegant. The reason why should be perfectly obvious to a regular player on a MUD claiming to be roleplay-based.

More
19 Dec 2004 08:58 #6718 by khaos
[glb]Er, sorry if I divulged to much information. I understand about the manpower pov, I simply meant that in the future that would help to keep rp fresh. -Sometime- in the future.[/glb]

Time to create page: 0.089 seconds