Skill Spamming

More
08 Oct 2007 12:39 #5505 by Blakat
Replied by Blakat on topic Re: Skill Spamming
Yes, agreed on the importance of emotion, obviously people running around with no fears or emotions make the game suck for everyone else.  Seems those most commonly seen in this type of roll (the emotionless one) are those who play the game to skill grind and rip off heads.

I can agree that real emotion over feigned emotion often ‘takes the stage’ because most people are better at just reacting than making up a reaction.  Notice the word ‘often’; because some people (like me) have learned to detach themselves, they IRL aren’t upset at all (maybe even cheery) while blatantly pissed off IC.  

My thoughts are… it is great to ‘set yourself in their position’ but just be careful because I’ve seen MANY people quit AL because their characters died.  They were too attached and didn’t want to play any other character.  There is a balance to this, just like everything else.  

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2007 12:51 #5506 by Shadowslay
Replied by Shadowslay on topic Re: Skill Spamming

Any rules a twink can break an actor can break.

I've seen twinks alter their perception of vNPC's to their liking, to suit what they're doing. (or so they claim)
I've seen actors alter their perception of vNPC's to their liking, to suit what they're doing. (they actually do it, but same effect)
I've seen twinks use OOC to accomplish IC goals.
I've seen actors use OOC to accomplish IC goals.
I've seen twinks share/seek out information OOCly.
I've seen actors share/seek out information OOCly.
I've seen twinks try to convince their friends that someone should be treated as an enemy, and ask for help in killing them.
I've seen actors try to convince their friends that someone should be treated as an enemy, and help make up 'roleplay' reasons why.
I've seen twinks abuse/exploit bugs.
I've seen actors abuse/exploit bugs.

All true things, man. Anybody can screw up the game for other people.

"No different then retyping <put apple in table> <get apple from table> for 3-4 hours"

I've seen, in real life, a person lift their hand, touch a spot on a wall, and set their hand back in their lap, over and over and over.  Not just for a few hours.  For months, whenever they were in that room.  They were severely mentally and emotionally ill, and in an institution.  But they did it when they were allowed.

I think this penetrates, even if fleetingly, into the heart of cases concerning the absurdity of the act (not necessary the enabling of, but the act) of skill spamming; and that's based on the idea that one's in-character at all times, and that everything one does in-game is a representation of in-character actions and desires (ideally). So if one does the same repetitive task, over and over and over to great lengths (even to get better at something), it must come attached with either some profound ambition/deranged obsession, or legacy of mental illness. No burn intended in the statement, but, man, it'd be nice to see this played out from people, if they're going to skill spam anyway. And that would be the conscientious thing to do, as a roleplayer - as it is conscientious for starting fighters not to pretend to be Spartan reincarnate (unless merely playing a character who sincerely deceives themself so, etc,) or powerful fighters not to go around killing people without justification, etc, - to show the IC sub-text behind what one does, especially in something as controversial as skill spamming.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.271 seconds