Skill Spamming

More
27 Dec 2006 05:44 #5455 by Fartmonger
Replied by Fartmonger on topic Re: Skill Spamming
Well... SWS is right. I agree fully. At the end of the day, people who focus wholly on skill-building have nothing to show for their effort when their character inevitably dies. Where as the dilligent RPer will have memories and logs that will last a lifetime. I've always had more fun with my unskilled characters than with ones I've bothered twinking out. It's all about building a personality that you enjoy, and bashing them about Terrinor.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
27 Dec 2006 19:42 #5456 by Blakat
Replied by Blakat on topic Re: Skill Spamming
Dragon Idea, I TOTALLY agree with what you said. Perfect response. ;)

More
25 Mar 2007 23:06 #5457 by Parker
Replied by Parker on topic Re: Skill Spamming
And even if all of this totally awesome advice doesn't appeal to you, at least RP around others, and go twinking in the woods where you won't annoy someone looking to have a nice, RP-ful time.

"twinking in the woods" sounds like SUCH a euphemism.

More
08 Aug 2007 02:19 #5458 by Zammy
Replied by Zammy on topic Re: Skill Spamming
You continue whittling a cornupas.
(OOC) WARNING: You will be forced off after 15 minutes idle time. You need to
be in an OOC area or meditating to idle longer than 15 minutes.
You continue whittling a cornupas. .

First I want to say I am sorry for getting on everyone nerves but some things are frustrating me a lot! I do not want even to comment that log. Its self explanery.

(I messed up after 10mins of crafting)

I really think that advancing should be easier. There should be more tips for players to grab a new profession and start from the bottom. Now I want to start with glass work. I have no idea where to get proper sand, I am not sure what tools I need... etc. etc. Game should be made I little bit more newbie friendly to get it rolling. I personally for the 10-20 hours of gameplay always on the edge of quiting the game. Of cousre its has A LOT of potential and that is why I still try to stick saying. "Ok, ill figure out fun things to do." But I am stuck crafting to make money so I can buy tools to continue crafting. I am afraid to go out of town because I got beat up by a little bird, not to mention something bigger than bird.
Of course when you get with other people gets really fun. All the RPing is really nice but there are not many people just for the some reasons I have given. THere are a lot more stuff I can rant about but as a whole it is great game.

Zammy

More
08 Aug 2007 14:18 #5459 by Jinkarto
Replied by Jinkarto on topic Re: Skill Spamming
How could you NOT level combat skills? In order to actually survive in Terrinor, you'd have to be decently proficient in fighting skills. Everything in the game is an extreme version of what it is IRL, so it'd only make sense that people would want to level their skills. Sure, it takes a decently long time unless you take the easy way out during chargen, and yes, if you're sparring all the time it will probably limit the time you have to do other things, but seriously, what do you suggest?

If you were to limit the amount of growth possible in a single session of training in [skill name] even more, you'd really only be hurting the new players. Someone who got all their spamming out of the way two years ago would have no problem slaughtering someone who is trying to get better. Personally, I think people should be able to govern themselves, and if you really want some roffelplay, why not make your own RPE?

An expedition on a nearby mountain, and you could go through all of the perils of mountain climbing, or maybe a trip into the woods in search of a rare animal? This game's only limit is your imagination. You could do practically ANYTHING, with any occupation, and without limits because of the gender, race or age of your character.

So, for people who say "too long/didn't read", sure, people could stand to be pried away from spam training, but if more people were willing to think for themselves, and not wait for other people to do something about it, the problem would be gone.

More
09 Aug 2007 08:28 #5460 by Devon Mullane
Replied by Devon Mullane on topic Re: Skill Spamming
AL is gosh, ten years old at least, and in that time lots of things have changed. In the same breath, lots of things have stayed the same. There is a particular reluctance to change 'currently-released' items, even if new code should obsolete old methods. There are good reasons and bad reasons for this I suppose. A good reason they aren't changed is if you changed everything every time something was updated or altered, well that would be a huge workload. A bad reason would be because updating things to work properly is going to really make a lot of people happy.

If you listen to stories, you can hear about of the evolution of the game. Did you know you used to be able to sell wooden weapons? Well people kept selling them so finally because everyone was becoming rich off of simple wooden crafts it was removed. Is this a good thing? No, more likely laziness on the part of those who removed them in favor of something else. A better way to deal with it would be a supply/demand where merchants don't JUST BUY CRAP, but buy it BECAUSE THEY NEED IT. I mean how many people just waste time making some redundant object to sell over and over? Where does the merchant get money to buy any of this crap? If people only sell him goods, well it sounds like he might be in a bit of debt. Another thing is death, people didn't like permadeath so fetishes and altars were thrown in as a sloppy way to accommodate the player concerns. AL also has had bigger followings in previous years, many players run off by other players, creators, lack of progress or just plain loss of enthusiasm.

As for combat skills. Nope. Not necessary. Plenty of people train fighting, therefore you always have room not to. It's more of a mentality than anything, I mean look at all the games you own(if you are a gamer) or play online and see how many involve fighting. In RPG's fighting is a way to 'gain experience' and will take up the bulk of your time. I'm always glad to see players with more of a focus than simply hitting something over the head with a cudgel. I mean hell, Terrinor IS supposed to be a dark place, but fighting has never been a requirement of all people. Why do you think we have police officers? Sure civilians learn to fight all the time, but it is law enforcement and the military that handle the bulk of it. You should come to accept Terrinor is very similar, there is always someone willing to fight and die. So hell, let em.

It boils down to AL is volunteer-based. You volunteer your time to play, and others volunteer their time to create. Because of this there are no specific expectations of anyone, player or creator, except that you adhere to the rules. So basically in order for something to get done, someone has to want to do it. AL is kinda in a slump, apologies, but for those of you willing to work past it, and treat the game like an interactive story instead of some game you can 'pwn' on, the more other people will be drawn to play with you. Face it, skill building is boring as hell, and its rewards are rather slim without other people to share them with. If everyone could do everything, well heck, you guys would pretty much stop playing together because you'd never have a reason to come together. I recommend relying on each other more for goods and services, and you might just find that the game grows because of the players like you.

More
09 Aug 2007 08:38 #5461 by Musica
Replied by Musica on topic Re: Skill Spamming
I'd like to stress what Zammy mentioned, the intense difficulty of starting out in this game without any prior knowledge of it. I think when I started I had three people to question and bother about every little thing, and so by shattering several important IC/OOC rules, I got to know this game well enough to do some good. It shouldn't have to be that way.

More
25 Sep 2007 21:49 #5462 by Vampir
Replied by Vampir on topic Re: Skill Spamming
Alright, this will be my first post ever, so have your 5mins...

I will just say that i feel some skills do improve over time very nicely, if you practice them a few times, for example each time you log in. That could be roleplayed very nice... as maybe you would light your headlamp each time you log in (providing you log in a dark place)...hmm, maybe i put it wrong. Basically what i wished to say is, if i am not mistaking, your PC is to learn (or to gain level, how ever you prefer it) much faster/better/more ic/easier if you use the skill few times each time you log in to play, then if you just sit and do it over and over again. I may be wrong, it was just my personal experience.
Then also, there is nothing wrong f.e. in idiotic amount of players settling outside Pineview and immersing in woodworking. Spam? "You continue just doing the same stuff..." should be invisible to others. If there is no decent emote for the crafting of an item, there is no reason it should appear. A bunch of guys went there to learn how to chop trees, how to make useful things out of wood, how to make fires, how to get pissed with booze long way onto night and wake up tomorrow hungry, then pick some game and slay it so they can feast...spending a few weeks there maybe, having fun and learning, living AL. Some skills do take time and consistency in practice, to improve them. There is nothing wrong in my opinion with that bunch of guys doint all kinds of ill things to themselves, roleplaying it, with or without using all greatness of code (like posture, omote and such).
I felt obligated to react on that great and very funny first post. I don't believe that post though is even close to what you can stumble upon on AL. I got frustrated many times when not being able to craft an item that again after i made it at some point. 1000s of "You continue crafting that shit over and over again to no avail" ruined fun for me much more than for anybody else... though i always tend to at least throw in some emotes or say something.
Even if that crafting general emote gets removed, this is still a text-based game, so spam in some form or amount is inevitable. Yeah, another thing, using "pwn", "dude", "shithead", and similar words gets the speaking PC zapped and rendered unconcious for a looooong time.

More
26 Sep 2007 01:48 #5463 by Shadowslay
Replied by Shadowslay on topic Re: Skill Spamming

Alright, this will be my first post ever, so have your 5mins...

I will just say that i feel some skills do improve over time very nicely, if you practice them a few times, for example each time you log in. That could be roleplayed very nice... as maybe you would light your headlamp each time you log in (providing you log in a dark place)...hmm, maybe i put it wrong. Basically what i wished to say is, if i am not mistaking, your PC is to learn (or to gain level, how ever you prefer it) much faster/better/more ic/easier if you use the skill few times each time you log in to play, then if you just sit and do it over and over again. I may be wrong, it was just my personal experience.
   Then also, there is nothing wrong f.e. in idiotic amount of players settling outside Pineview and immersing in woodworking. Spam? "You continue just doing the same stuff..." should be invisible to others. If there is no decent emote for the crafting of an item, there is no reason it should appear. A bunch of guys went there to learn how to chop trees, how to make useful things out of wood, how to make fires, how to get pissed with booze long way onto night and wake up tomorrow hungry, then pick some game and slay it so they can feast...spending a few weeks there maybe, having fun and learning, living AL. Some skills do take time and consistency in practice, to improve them. There is nothing wrong in my opinion with that bunch of guys doint all kinds of ill things to themselves, roleplaying it, with or without using all greatness of code (like posture, omote and such).
   I felt obligated to react on that great and very funny first post. I don't believe that post though is even close to what you can stumble upon on AL. I got frustrated many times when not being able to craft an item that again after i made it at some point. 1000s of "You continue crafting that shit over and over again to no avail" ruined fun for me much more than for anybody else... though i always tend to at least throw in some emotes or say something.
  Even if that crafting general emote gets removed, this is still a text-based game, so spam in some form or amount is inevitable. Yeah, another thing, using "pwn", "dude", "shithead", and similar words gets the speaking PC zapped and rendered unconcious for a looooong time.

I think it's great that you're willing to throw a few emotes in between skill training. I believe that merit-by-grinding is a problem that should be addressed, but if everyone honestly roleplayed training - instead of just being stupid about it (subjective, I know) - I'd be far, far less concerned.

More
26 Sep 2007 15:16 #5464 by meemo
Replied by meemo on topic Re: Skill Spamming

Face it, skill building is boring as hell, and its rewards are rather slim without other people to share them with. If everyone could do everything, well heck, you guys would pretty much stop playing together because you'd never have a reason to come together. I recommend relying on each other more for goods and services, and you might just find that the game grows because of the players like you.

As a relative 'noob' to AL (however not to mudding), I am swiftly coming to the realization that part of the reason so many player-ownable shops are empty is not just a symptom of a smaller pbase, but because players are diversifying their skills so much. Why be just a stone carver, when you can be a stone-carver/glass-blower/metalworking/miner/whittler who also hunts game and gathers herbs.

I understand that part of the great thing about AL -is- that you can learn everything; I just wish players might make a selective choice to not do so in order to bolster a pc run economy and further strengthen rp niches/roles.

- a noob's one- cent worth

Time to create page: 0.287 seconds