What kind of player are you?

More
12 Dec 2004 08:45 #3798 by Gabocha
After reading the paper recently linked to by Luc in another thread about the kinds of players that play MUDs, I thought it might be fun to ask the playerbase what kind of player they were.

The paper can be found here: mud.co.uk/richard/hcds.htm

After you read it, tell us what kind you are! Let's figure out what AL's player makeup is, eh?

Personally, I'm an explorer.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Dec 2004 12:03 #3799 by Luc
I should probably warn y'all against taking that paper dogmatically. Like many simple classifications, it's initially attractive, but it tends to develop intractable complications when put into practice. Bartle tries to handwave this away with his comment about players waffling between groups; nonetheless, I believe that the underlying psychology can't be explained with a simple quarternary division.

In hindsight, I'm not entirely sure why I kept that tangent in my post. I was originally trying to make the same point by means of an argument more closely tied to Bartle's paper; I decided against this for reasons related to the above.

With that caveat, there is a test purporting to determine your player classification at www.andreasen.org/bartle/ . My results are as follows; the discrepancy between them and my stated beliefs should suffice to convince most of the classification system's weaknesses.

Explorer 73%
Killer 66%
Socializer 40%
Achiever 20%

More
12 Dec 2004 12:52 #3800 by Gabocha
Socializer 80%
Explorer 80%
Achiever 33%
Killer 6%

More
13 Dec 2004 01:12 #3801 by Pyromastaforever
Achiever 60%
Socializer 60%
Explorer 53%
Killer 26%

More
13 Dec 2004 01:57 #3802 by Kinder
Explorer 80%
Socializer 60%
Killer 46%
Achiever 13%

More
13 Dec 2004 03:46 #3803 by ignatius
Thanks for taking the test. You are person number 289716 to take it.

Your type is: ESA. 10% of respondents so far fall into that type.

The numbers below represent percentage of how many times you selected a given suite when given the chance. Since there are 15 questions for each suite out of 30 total, the number will add up to 200%. 50% thus means average for each suite, and 100% is the maximum score.

Your answers were split as follows: Explorer 80%
Socializer 73%
Achiever 33%
Killer 13%

More
13 Dec 2004 13:25 #3804 by Kuzman
Took the test a couple of times to see if the questions varied any. I suppose technically the wordings change, but they are very transparently the same questions.

Anyway. I apparently average 80% Explorer, and 40% in the others. Most recent results were:

Explorer 86%
Achiever 40%
Socializer 40%
Killer 33%

I suppose I won't argue too much, though "Explorer" seems a rather vague role as they describe it.

Essentially, it consists of appreciating whatever qualities are unique to a game, which to me is just... playing.

Of course, killing, chatting, and levelling are all things you can do and enjoy in a MUD, but if those were your primary desires, surely you'd prefer to spend your time e.g. chatting via IRC, firing rockets/grenades/etc. at others via FPS games, or working your way up to Level Ridiculous in Disgaea.

Dunno.

More
14 Dec 2004 03:55 #3805 by Gabocha
Either that, or AL is the type of game that explorers like to play.

More
19 Dec 2004 07:24 #3806 by khaos
[glb]Thanks for taking the test. You are person number 290382 to take it.

Your type is: EKA. 1% of respondents so far fall into that type.

The numbers below represent percentage of how many times you selected a given suite when given the chance. Since there are 15 questions for each suite out of 30 total, the number will add up to 200%. 50% thus means average for each suite, and 100% is the maximum score.

Your answers were split as follows: Explorer  66%
Killer  60%
Achiever  53%
Socializer  20%

Yah... I'm not sure how accurate that is. I like to socialize but hey, an adventurer, mercenary, does a lot of that, y'know, killing thing. That's not the only rp that I do, or like to do but eh. [/glb]

More
20 Dec 2004 03:42 #3807 by Brainless
Killer 86%
Achiever 46%
Socializer 40%
Explorer 28%

That seems about right, maybe a little high on the achieving thingy.

Time to create page: 0.302 seconds