A few topics I'd like to talk about

More
01 Nov 2006 04:44 #2607 by khaos

I don't think that AL is really newbie-friendly period. Maybe when there's a lot of people on, sure. But the first time I came on (2-3 years ago I think) I had to wait for some time, reading help files (which sometimes are helpful, sometimes not so much).

RP is fun, but I rarely find other to interact with. I mean, the place is huge. Even though, I've found some now and then. Of course others' rp concerns don't always mesh with one's own. They might be out to find something to eat while you're in a hurry to mine some stuff somewhere.

Jobs would definitely be an improvement. Some IC ways to learn about history, well I know of some stuff that already exists, although more would definitely help. Starting item(s) would be a great help to newbs.

I think combat could be better too. I mean, come on, how much damage can a squirrel really do?! lol

I dunno, sometimes AL is fun, sometimes it just seems like a dumbed down, harder version of life.

*shrugs*

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
01 Nov 2006 15:25 #2608 by Devon Mullane
I've been taking the opportunity to learn some aspects of the game, not in terms of what I can make and the like, but rather interaction with the enviroment around me in general. And with this I wish to offer another perspective, and with it the warning that this is not meant to be a 'solution' or something like that. Rather I would like to tread on a different perspective on the 'population' thing.

I was playing the game, and at one point I may have been the only person besides some creators actually playing in the world and that's when it hit me. People are in a sense, just another aspect of the game. More players offers great roleplay opportunities, but being in the enviroment does that. I try to imagine myself in the city as my character, seeing the people(the VPC's) and those sort of things. Perhaps the best perspective is to be effective at pretending you aren't the only thing that exists and allow yourself the freedom to act accordingly. Being the only person on means that all the potential of this world is left up to me, and that is truly a blessing. Thank you accursed lands, you have provided the most interesting single-player/multi-player game I've ever seen. It's like being given a set of rules to govern your experience by really.

So, I then was left to think about other players on the server. What if we had like a innate sensing ability, these people who can shape the future of this world, all bound by the same choice to exist here. Perhaps we could 'sense' others around us. Now, I have not delved into the intricacies of this game so if something like this exists then I suppose no one has to act like it does but. Perhaps while meditating(at higher levels) you could sense people around you. Little messages like 'You faintly sense a spirit near you.' could be the beginner version. A more advanced level may be, 'You sense a dangerous spirit to the north.' It's still very vague, but you could find people this way like we are seeking one another. Or like above, you would know this person has blood on their hands so you may take proper discretion. Or, 'A spirit is heading towards you from the northwest' could work too because it doesn't necessarily mean that someone IS looking for you, just that a pressence is headed in your direction. A master may even read, 'A female braman with wide eyes is running to the southwest on a road to the north.' Just a funny idea, and anyone may feel free to do with it as they see fit.

More
01 Nov 2006 21:06 #2609 by Devon Mullane
Well it's funny, I've given the game a full another shot and these are my final thoughts. I understand it as, AL doesn't really want new players all that much. I think to the people who play the game it is fine and they are fully unyielding to think anything needs to be changed. I mean, I don't need a second life, especially not a boring one spent crossing endless barren wilderness in search of wanderlust?

So I wish to make an apology, I don't think there is anything wrong with this game. I understand now that it is meant to cater *only* to those who are willing to be subject to it. So I have been an artard, I've approached this as if something needs to be fixed. Now I can see that it's only broken to me, I want to play but I want it to cater to me the player.

Anyways, thanks for having me

Hyomoto

More
02 Nov 2006 00:32 #2610 by DuncmanG
It's not that AL doesn't want new players, saying that implies that the creators don't want AL to be a success, which is just a silly thing to say. New players are necessary for a game to be successful. And while the game itself may not be super-newbie friendly, many of the players are, and are perfectly willing to help out new players. As well, there are resources out there for newbies who look for them.

As I see it, it's just that the creators and founders of AL don't want to compromise their vision of what they want the world to be just in order to get new players in here. Making the game challenging ensures that people who stick with it are serious about playing and RPing, which in turn makes it more rewarding for them to work on the world.

I'm sorry the game isn't a good fit for you, maybe you'll join us later if your tastes change. Check back at some point, you never know.

-- DuncmanG --

More
02 Nov 2006 08:40 #2611 by Mark

I've been taking the opportunity to learn some aspects of the game, not in terms of what I can make and the like, but rather interaction with the enviroment around me in general. And with this I wish to offer another perspective, and with it the warning that this is not meant to be a 'solution' or something like that. Rather I would like to tread on a different perspective on the 'population' thing.

I was playing the game, and at one point I may have been the only person besides some creators actually playing in the world and that's when it hit me. People are in a sense, just another aspect of the game. More players offers great roleplay opportunities, but being in the enviroment does that. I try to imagine myself in the city as my character, seeing the people(the VPC's) and those sort of things. Perhaps the best perspective is to be effective at pretending you aren't the only thing that exists and allow yourself the freedom to act accordingly. Being the only person on means that all the potential of this world is left up to me, and that is truly a blessing. Thank you accursed lands, you have provided the most interesting single-player/multi-player game I've ever seen. It's like being given a set of rules to govern your experience by really.

So, I then was left to think about other players on the server. What if we had like a innate sensing ability, these people who can shape the future of this world, all bound by the same choice to exist here. Perhaps we could 'sense' others around us. Now, I have not delved into the intricacies of this game so if something like this exists then I suppose no one has to act like it does but. Perhaps while meditating(at higher levels) you could sense people around you. Little messages like 'You faintly sense a spirit near you.' could be the beginner version. A more advanced level may be, 'You sense a dangerous spirit to the north.' It's still very vague, but you could find people this way like we are seeking one another. Or like above, you would know this person has blood on their hands so you may take proper discretion. Or, 'A spirit is heading towards you from the northwest' could work too because it doesn't necessarily mean that someone IS looking for you, just that a pressence is headed in your direction. A master may even read, 'A female braman with wide eyes is running to the southwest on a road to the north.' Just a funny idea, and anyone may feel free to do with it as they see fit.

That's a really good idea for a solution, Dragon Idea.
The issue with that would be differentiating it from magic, as magic is a practice with inherant dangers and thus feared.
But we have resurrection as well, which is inherantly magical.
Perhaps some magic could be deemed as 'safe magic' and other magic as 'unsafe magic'

Anyhow, the bottom line is that we need better ways for players to find other players. The inquire command was put into taverns to that effect, how is that working?

I also thought it may make sense to put a summary of which cities had the most players close to it in the who list so that people could travel there for roleplay. Not which players were where, but a summary of player population in general. The only breach in IC/OOC would be listing the city names, but that could fall under the category of "common knowledge"

More
02 Nov 2006 08:52 #2612 by Mark

Well it's funny, I've given the game a full another shot and these are my final thoughts. I understand it as, AL doesn't really want new players all that much. I think to the people who play the game it is fine and they are fully unyielding to think anything needs to be changed. I mean, I don't need a second life, especially not a boring one spent crossing endless barren wilderness in search of wanderlust?

So I wish to make an apology, I don't think there is anything wrong with this game. I understand now that it is meant to cater *only* to those who are willing to be subject to it. So I have been an artard, I've approached this as if something needs to be fixed. Now I can see that it's only broken to me, I want to play but I want it to cater to me the player.

Anyways, thanks for having me

Hyomoto

I understand your perception and thanks for the honest feedback. AL does want more players (check out the flyer campaign we have started!), and it needs more players, but what it needs above that is more truly dedicated creators, which is a difficult thing to get.

A creator must have an interest in creating over achieving personal in game power and police themselves ethically in that. They must have talent in either writing or coding and subject themselves to rigorous (and sometimes stifling) quality criteria for the greater good of the quality of the mud. They must be willing to work for free under these conditions, and they are expected by the players to cater to them, which they do in a way, but with every player wanting a different thing, it's impossible to please everyone.

There is a request command now though, and you can see which
things the players have indicated as most important, and the things
I encourage (but don't force) our creators to focus on.

request /top
top five requests:
alchemy | 15
face concealing garb | 12
more active weather | 7
boats | 7
recalls for skills | 7

The number one thing I want is better ways for players to find each other for rp opportunities and more players to rp with. When I play, which is quite infrequently due to my busyness, I am a social player and the more folks the better.

I would be delighted if you were to participate in our flyer campaign (Idea by Zaq, graphic art by Jovan) and help bring players to AL. I guarantee if you bring enough players in, we will get more creators, and we will have a larger pool for our creatorbase and more will get done for the game.

You can help to create the reality you want here by your efforts, although it may take some time, after all, it has taken over 10 years so far to bring AL to where it is, and some of our efforts and experience carried over from Dartmud as well.

Xotl

More
06 Nov 2006 00:15 #2613 by Devon Mullane
It would be hard for me to say no to trying to help out a great artistic work. I'll look around the site about the flyer campaign but in case I don't find the topic, would you mind posting it here?

More
06 Nov 2006 02:20 #2614 by Scourge
www.accursed-lands.com/cgi-bin/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1162255573

There ya go, Dragon. It's on the Announcement board. :)

More
08 Nov 2006 20:47 #2615 by Devon Mullane
I found it pretty much after I posted, but thank you very much for taking the time to post it as requested.

I am at a wierd impass with this game, it's like the more I find I dislike about it, the more I find I like. I'm basically at the point where if recall was sexy, I could truly love this game. It's just that my options for creating new objects is limited to having seen them since most of the information in 'recall whittling' pertains to torches sticks and knives at my current level. Also I wish when you would recall lore and most the other skills it would give some text besides 'you remember nothing at this time'.

But beyond that, recalling information about specific objects could be even more useful. Based on your skill pertanent to an object you could get some information on how to build it. Like, it has four legs and a table top doesn't make me believe I'll need a hammer and nails too. Or 'recall torch' could output 'You recall that one can be whittled from a stick...' Since whittling requires a knife, ', if I had a knife...' or etc... would be pointless in this case. But with something like a table you might get 'You don't seem to know much about that.' or 'You recall a table has four legs... A table top is made by lashing boards together... Most pieces of a table require a saw to make... Many table pieces come from logs...' etc...

Time to create page: 0.093 seconds